R2K

 
Lightning hit
Wednesday, August 10, 2005



A few days ago, there was a severe storm that passed just north of my house. While we really need the rain here, we got next to nothing. Just one mile away, there seems to have been a lot of rain. Everyone got the wind, however, and some really bad lighting. Branches all over the area were knocked down, and one hit a power line down the road which I saw after starting small fires in the dry grass.

In any event, the lighting was very heavy, and I was watching the storm through the back doors. Many local strikes were within 1000 feet, and I watched carefully as flashes occurred all around. In an instant, a horribly loud crash came along with two bright flashes of light. A lighting strike occurred in the woods at the edge of my lawn! After each strike, there was not only the incredibly loud spectrum of sound, but also balls of plasma lasting a fraction of a second longer than the bright light of the lighting bolt proper.

Upon inspecting the area an hour later, I found that one of our large trees was directly hit. Included are the images of that tree. The full length of it had a strip of bark shot off, and there were large pieces of bark all over the lawn. Clearly if you were close, you not only would have been exposed to the bolt, but also the resulting shrapnel. Anyway, enjoy….
posted by High Power Rocketry @ Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
11 Comments:
  • At 8/11/05, 7:49 AM, Blogger JoanM said…

    Wow that is an unusual photo. I have seen lightening strike a pole nearby, and the noise was deafening. Very scary

     
  • At 8/11/05, 5:40 PM, Blogger LiVEwiRe said…

    Geez! Makes me rethink my tendency to sit out during storms... eesh. Great photos!

     
  • At 8/11/05, 6:45 PM, Blogger allison said…

    agree w/ livewire! I love to sit outside and watch the storms on the poarch but since there's a big tree right near it I might nix that one.

     
  • At 8/12/05, 11:59 AM, Blogger R2K said…

    I bet you would have been safe from death, just because the bolt went right under ground. But who knows what happens in the roots and everything. But I do know that worms and insects were alive and well right next to the hole in the ground, so could not have been that bad right?

     
  • At 8/17/05, 1:07 PM, Blogger Sam Freedom said…

    Hey, you are now BOUND to keep us updated on the health of that tree! I'm curious to know if it lives or dies and how the scar grows. Strange, maybe, but your a systems analyst right? I think it's not often you get a tree scarred by lightning sitting on the edge of your yard.

    Take some photos of it from time to time.

    Anyways, you brought up another point I never thought of, about the worms and stuff in the ground not being killed. I'm sure there's a plausible explanation, but can you imagine if it were otherwise? Every time a lightning storm came through and billions of worms were left rotting in the streets lol

    I used to take the cordless phone and go out in a thunderstorm, stand in a puddle and call my mother in the next town. She'd hear the crack of hte lightning and the wind and she would say,

    "Omg, are you where I think you are?"

    And I could hear my stepfather in the background saying, "Tell me the kid's not outside in this, is he outside in this?"

    My family has always know I will die happy because I'm not afraid of any of the usual stuff. So when it comes to lightning, I grab my metal surfboard and scream, "BRING IT ON!"

    Alright, hope this was an unusual post lol

    Sam
    ps www.bloglet.com will be good for your blog, it's not an advertisement, honest.

     
  • At 8/18/05, 8:27 PM, Blogger Noette said…

    ye i remeber last year a tree was knocked down in front of my house =/

     
  • At 8/29/05, 10:53 PM, Blogger Angela Ursa said…

    Alex, I´m impressed with these photos of the tree after the storm. Sometimes, nature is really furious. Bye!

     
  • At 9/15/05, 6:45 PM, Blogger Mike B said…

    nice photos. i wouldve been struck by lightning once if i wasnt to tired to leave the house on time...i was dragging ass getting out the door to got to work heard what sounded like a bomb ran downstairs and right outside my door and there was a footwide hole in the ground outside the door. thank god for my laziness and slow reaction time. it did however melt my uncles truck tire fry all our appliances and the computers in both of our cars.

     
  • At 9/18/05, 9:15 AM, Blogger R2K said…

    Thats sounds pretty bad... :)

    The tree is still alive, but some of the branches died. Im not sure if it will recover or not. Next spring will really show I think.

     
  • At 9/18/05, 10:15 AM, Blogger sf said…

    I like the way you choose your images...are different but naturaly true ;)

     
  • At 10/17/05, 7:29 PM, Anonymous Allison4head said…

    too bad you weren't that tree.........then this suckass blog would go away.....LOL

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About R2K

Links
 
Archives
You found hidden text! __ __ __ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡
Π