R2K

 
5 Best games of all time
Sunday, November 25, 2007
This is a list of the 5 best PC games according to me, the expert on such matters and all other matters. It is very hard to just pick 5, as there were at least 10 that could have made the list. But this isnt a list of the top 10, it is a list of the top 5, so how could I do that? Also, I have played these games for the most cumulative time of any (probably several months total time).

Quake 3 - The ultimate multiplayer FPS, with perfect physics and quick gameplay. As good as the multiplayer is, the singleplayer pretty much sucked, which explains why no one uses it anymore. Now more than 7 years old, it is impressive to see the game still active, with many mods and thousands of players.


Half Life: The best single player FPS of all time, no one really argues with this. I have never seen CS, but as a mostly single player I never really needed to. Half Life is brilliant, and I cant think of a time in the future where I will not want to play this game once a year or so. I just hope that future computers will allow it, I may just keep an old computer out and running for these older classics.


Avara: Of all the games here, I bet this one is new to almost all the readers (down to 500 a day, I am sad to say). This is one of the several classics I used to play on my Mac Quadra 600 class computer. Made by Ambrosia (along with other top 10s) to be a simple 3D FPS. The great part was that it was easy to make your own custom maps, and many people did them. I never even did multiplayer, I just spent my time playing the custom maps and single-player missions. Tons of fun, and one of the few reasons why I wish I still had my Mac.


MDK: Probably the most creative of any game here. By that I mean, it does not in any way follow any recipe for a good FPS. It is funny, cartoon-like at times, and a dog is your sidekick. You can glide, and some of the maps call for very long glides (I think a mile once or twice). One of the final maps is one of the most impressive I have ever seen - a reflective glass like floor in space. "Mr. McClure, what does MDK stand for?"


Rainbow Six: This was also a single player game for me, despite a very healthy multiplayer community like in CS (Half Life). But this game is always interesting because you can vary your plans greatly and work with stealth one day, then go all grenades and 50cal the next. There was one huge map, like the Pentagon, that occupied me for weeks.


Some other top games: Aperion, Maelstrom, System Shock 2, Tribes, Quake 2, and Wolfenstein 3D. Got games of your own to add to the list?
posted by High Power Rocketry @ Sunday, November 25, 2007  
8 Comments:
  • At 11/26/07, 5:52 AM, Blogger Eugenio Martínez Sierra said…

    Avara rules. But I think Escape Velocity was much better.

     
  • At 11/26/07, 7:29 AM, Blogger Arjan said…

    I only played a demo of MDK and liked it, but it got forgotten (by me). Might need to find it again.

    I don't think I've played Half life enough, I know, shame on me.

    Add: Max Payne 2. I think I finished that one over 10 times in all kinds of difficulties. One time I just tried to finish it as quickly as possible, the end boss was down before he knew what was happening.

     
  • At 11/26/07, 6:47 PM, Blogger Woozie said…

    Half Life 2 should take the place of Half Life. I'd even put Episode 2 above HL2, but it would have been better if it was longer (I know it was just an expansion pack, but damnit I want more!)

    And you have to dump GTA III in there if only for its influence over games after it.

     
  • At 11/27/07, 1:40 AM, Blogger thimscool said…

    I liked Half Life, and HL2... I liked all the GTA games... But I really prefer the strategy form.

    For nostalgia's sake, I'd have to say that Civilization was the game that had the most pull on me.

     
  • At 11/29/07, 7:56 AM, Blogger Arjan said…

    somewhere in the text above I saw 'whale feces' that's where I started to scroll even faster.

     
  • At 11/29/07, 8:41 AM, Anonymous Free Pix Click Here said…

    Are you Part of the Revolution?

     
  • At 11/29/07, 3:30 PM, Blogger R2K said…

    Hey great comments, all comments are good comment : )

     
  • At 11/29/07, 11:19 PM, Blogger The Patriot said…

    Thanks for stopping by my site. YOu are my spamming role model. Peace!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About R2K

Links
 
Archives
You found hidden text! __ __ __ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡
Π