R2K

 
Not a huge fan of Apple.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008



There are many reasons why I feel I have to say this, I have decided to say it now because in one week I came across three people (who are not connected in any significant way) who all made bold statements along the lines of: "Apples are just better, more stable, faster, better."

People complain that Microsoft violates anti-trust laws because they include IE with windows, and make it hard to remove. Yet Apple has sold hardware that includes their OS, and many many smaller programs including a browser - but no one ever complains about that. Apple totally locks the competition out of their (small but growing) market.

The Ipod and Itunes make it hard for you to load songs from a different computer, share music, or do many other things that you want with your songs (does anyone use Itunes with a non-Ipod player?). Many people out there think the Ipod was the first MP3 player... and Apply people are happy to accept that. I owned the first Ipod, in 1999. It was a Rio. People now even call MP3 players Ipods even if they are not Ipods...

That brings me to the Ithing. Naming every product with an I is obnoxious. Similar to the attitude of mac users who assume they are better, based largely on constant lying on the part of Apple in commercials and on the internet. One example would be the apple users who sit in Starbucks and type, always as close as possible to the front window so people can see them typing into their I-titanium laptop while sipping a $8 grande machiatto before driving home in a Matrix.

I can go on... Huge cost, lack of custom building options...

Wait apple has actually switched over to the "inferior (according to their own adds)" hardware from Intel.

Then there is Steve Jobs... sorry that he has cancer, but he does act like the best thing since Buddha, and that gets old very quickly. It seems to rub off on many apple users who think that the laptop or mp3 player you pick really says something about you as a person. You are not a god, and the Ipod kinda sucks. The last good apple was a Mac Quadra, but I gave it away to a technology school after shedding a single tear for the ending of a great era of gaming.

Not to say there is anything wrong with using an apple. Just don't pretend it is any better than pcs out there - indeed in many cases it is worse and certainly cost you more. Don't pretend to know that it crashes less... because i've seen apples crash all the time, and have yet to see my XP crash a single time. Just enjoy whatever computer you have without worrying about being superior. Come to think of it, apple is always trying to be the anti-clone ... but all I see are Ipods on the subway, so what does that mean? Someone bring out Avara 2 or some other games from Ambrosia... and maybe I will reconsider.
posted by High Power Rocketry @ Tuesday, March 11, 2008  
11 Comments:
  • At 3/12/08, 1:35 PM, Blogger Woozie said…

    I can't fucking stand Apple either. Everything about them-their grossly overpriced notebooks, their phones, their ads, their stores, their fuhrer, everything-reeks of pretension.

    They think they're here to shed their grace on us, when in actuality the shit they push is no better than what Bill gates or anyone else has been pushing for years. It's just more expensive because it's got an i in front of it. iPod, iBook, iPhone, iShit, stop with the i's!

    The only reason I have an iPod is because my Creative Zen player died three times. And I call it the commiPod.

     
  • At 3/12/08, 2:08 PM, Blogger Arjan said…

    I feel like a junkie. I buy what they sell (microsoft that is). But I'm staying with my windows pc. I shoved the Vistadrug back in the drawer for a day when I feel to happy and wanna get sad.

    As for ipods..I've still (after 7 years I think) have my Philips Expanium cd-mp3 player. Yes it's a gazillion times bigger, but it runs after 7 years..try that with your Ipod. Itunes: Music Match Juke Box is my player of choice cause it doesn't suck ;)

    Oh and I want to be able to play games beyond WoW..so no apple for me ;)

     
  • At 3/12/08, 3:15 PM, Blogger R2K said…

    Let me admit that apple hardware can often be good, the ipod works very well... the scroll system is great on it and clearly the first of its kind... but that all gets ruined by crappy software and limitations - it is very hard to use the player as a result, unless you base your whole mp3 collection on buying from apple istore.

    Btw right now I am using Sandisk Sansa 8 GB... it is based on the Ipod style of player, was half the price, and doesnt make me look cool.

     
  • At 3/12/08, 3:59 PM, Blogger Arjan said…

    meh I got headphones instead of stylish cool white earplugs.
    But it sounds better and doesn't make my ears bleed.

     
  • At 3/12/08, 6:58 PM, Blogger Eugenio Martínez Sierra said…

    Agree 100%. Could I translate this post to spanish to be posted in my blog? (With the proper link in source, of course.)

     
  • At 3/12/08, 8:47 PM, Blogger R2K said…

    I actually use apple Ipod earbuds... they are decent and fairly cheap and good... I got tired of my crappy folding sony phones... they were too bulky.

    But now I hear that apple used a toxic chemical in the older white ipod buds... so again same shit, different toilet.

     
  • At 3/13/08, 5:17 PM, Blogger Eugenio Martínez Sierra said…

    Done

    Thanks a lot.

    Remember that Escape Velocity (For me the best Ambrosia game) is in Pc too...

     
  • At 3/13/08, 9:08 PM, Blogger R2K said…

    Solid job on the translation.

     
  • At 3/14/08, 1:08 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said…

    Until they make I-PlayStations, we're not big fans.

    I guess I got sick of Apple in the 80s. Since my parents are writers, we had one of the first Apples ever made. It crashed CONSTANTLY. One of the reasons IBM finally took over the larger share of the market is that IBM was more reliable. We went IBM and never looked back.

     
  • At 3/14/08, 1:13 PM, Blogger Eugenio Martínez Sierra said…

    :)

    I loved Apple.

    I use and like Xp, but my better computer was and will be a Macintosh Performa 7500

     
  • At 3/16/08, 9:31 PM, Blogger Nepharia said…

    I have XP and Vista at home (despise the Vista) and we use Macs at work.

    Macs are an ok computer and do everything I need it to do. But they are not the paragon of computing that they want you to think. About the only thing they don't have a problem with is viruses. They can carry them and pass them along tho.

    In addition, they might not get the "blue screen of death", but they DO get the "spinning beach ball of death" which is equally irritating.

    I've also taxed my mac to the limit while trying to multi-task (read: extreme multi-tasking), which my PC at home doesn't even blink at.

    XP rocks. Vista is ok (still prefer XP), but it works fine. Mac is a fair alternative, but because of the price, I would not purchase it for my house.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About R2K

Links
 
Archives
You found hidden text! __ __ __ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡
Π