R2K

 
454 - Will i Am: voice of change?
Saturday, January 24, 2009


Am I the only one who is tired of this? I mean he is a terrible rapper, his songs and lyrics are stupid, and when he was on Real Time with Bill Maher, he hardly spoke at all. And when he did, it was stupid naive comments about Jesus and Obama and MLK or something like that. What is it to me, you might ask?

Well like Obama's dogs, and the posters and T shirts selling him as some kind of savior of humanity (which is slightly more tolerable because he is actually an exceptional politician), Will i Am (and his stupid name) is constantly getting shoved into my face at every turn.  And they are constantly linked as if his lame Obama song has anything to do with Obama, the President.  I hate his saccarine songs just as much as I hated the creepy conservatives singing about the fathe... I mean homeland and letting the eagle soar.

It is one thing to be a bad rapper like Lil Wayne... but quite another to attempt to be an intellectual street poet, or worse still the voice of a generation. Just because you come from a shitty band that throws in a pinch or two of urban beats from time to time, that does not make you a solo rapper.

Again why do I care? Why comment on this now?

Well yet again there is a CNN story on this guy.

"CNN: When CNN came to you and said, "We want to have an impressionistic sort of a film about your experience at the inauguration," what were your first thoughts?

Will.i.am: Oh, my first thoughts were, damn, CNN, it's like, it's my little second home or something. I would love to do something. I was enthused. A lot of my people, they were saying, "There's not enough time. Why are you putting more things on your plate? You've gotta go to Canada to film 'X-Men.' " My response was, "You know how many minutes there are in a day?" Not every single minute is occupied. We can squeeze things or use our imagination or figure out what we can do to continue to inspire. I mean, this is important. Just because the inauguration is over and Obama is president doesn't mean we stop inspiring. I mean, we did it."

Lots of artists make stupid political comments. Spears suggesting we should just trust the president. Kanye west making various arrogant comments, upon occasion being about politics. But they were so far off base, it was a joke. This guy is being honest. To his credit, he probably cares and tries. Thats fine. But to allow yourself to be sold as some kind of voice of a movement, or of the new American movement, is a mistake if you can't really do the right thing.

I guess I am just wondering if this is the best we can offer. This overly simple, shallow artist who is creating the music that moves the nation (while not getting filmed for the next X-men that is).

"I went asleep last night
Tired from the fight
I've been fighting for tomorrow
All my life
Yea I woke up this morning
Feeling brand new
'Cause the dreams that I've been dreaming
Has finally came true "

"Kennedy, Lincoln, and King
We gotta maninvest in that dream
It feels like we're swimming upstream
It feels like we're stuck in between"


Read a speech from Kennedy, or Lincoln, or King. This is hardly a suitable way to honor them. Its just not good enough. And it is hard to blame a man for doing well and making millions off it... but that doesn't mean he should be in my face all the time. Similarly, enough with the Obama T shirts and mugs and Yes We (scented) Candles.
posted by High Power Rocketry @ Saturday, January 24, 2009  
3 Comments:
  • At 1/25/09, 1:09 PM, Blogger Arjan said…

    although I'm happy to see Obama as a president, I agree with people that thé word of 2009 will be 'obama-tired'.

     
  • At 1/25/09, 5:37 PM, Blogger Ruth said…

    :)

     
  • At 1/26/09, 8:54 AM, Blogger Nashe^ said…

    Wii.i.am is just another Akon. Both can't really sing, but people buy into them coz their voices are "unique" and shit.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About R2K

Links
 
Archives
You found hidden text! __ __ __ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡ ???©??åß碧•?©ƒªºøˆ¨†¬???©ƒ?ßå??ç? ?˜µ<=>=÷æ…“‘«!=–ºª•¶§?¢£™¡
Π